Decided to upgrade from Yoast to Squirrly? Welcome, we’re grateful to have you.
Just thinking about switching? We welcome that thought, too. 🙂
We know that migrating data from other SEO plugins can seem like a complicated task. You may be worried that you’ll lose important data or the work you’ve previously done – and that you’ll have to start from scratch.
Rest assured, switching from Yoast to Squirrly SEO is fast, easy, and secure thanks to Squirrly’s import capabilities.
We make sure that your data is migrated carefully. This way, you don’t lose important optimizations you’ve previously made.
In this article, we’ll show you:
- how easy it is to import your data from Yoast SEO
- and let you know exactly WHAT gets imported during the process.
Let’s get to it.
First things first, what data gets imported from Yoast?
Based on feedback from users, we’ve recently upgraded our Import capabilities from Yoast to make the transition to Squirrly as convenient for you as possible.
Here is everything that we import from Yoast to help you make sure that your previous work remains intact.
SEO Snippet optimizations :
- Focus Keyword
- Open Graph Title
- Open Graph Description
- Open Graph Media
- Twitter Card Title
- Twitter Card Description
- Twitter Card Media
- 301 Redirect
- Primary Category
You won’t have to start over and re-write your meta descriptions or titles once you’ve made the switch to Squirrly. All this data will be safely transferred to Squirrly SEO.
In fact, once the import process is complete, you can go to BULK SEO settings and check that your data has been correctly transferred.
Yoast SEO Import tested and working:
- Posts / Pages / Products – Custom SEO Snippets in Yoast
- Patterns for Posts, Pages, Categories, Tags, Products, Custom Tax
- Custom Post Type – Custom SEO Snippet in Yoast
- Custom Post Type Taxonomy- Custom SEO Snippet in Yoast
- Custom Taxonomy – Custom SEO Snippet in Yoast
- Author Profiles – Custom SEO Snippet in Yoast
- Product Attributes MPN, ISBN, EAN (GTIN-13), UPC (GTIN-12), GTIN from Yoast E-Commerce plugin
- Main Category JSON-LD
- Organization/Personal name and logo for JSON-LD
- Social Media – Facebook Admin ID, Facebook App, Social Media Profiles
- Webmasters – Google Search Console, Bing
- HomePage – Patterns & Noindex & Nofollow
- Posts – Patterns & Noindex & Nofollow
- Pages – Patterns & Noindex & Nofollow
- Attachment – Patterns & Noindex & Nofollow
- Product – Patterns & Noindex & Nofollow
- Categories – Patterns & Noindex & Nofollow
- Tags – Patterns & Noindex & Nofollow
- Product Categories – Patterns & Noindex & Nofollow
- Product Tags – Patterns & Noindex & Nofollow
Squirrly SEO also enables the following:
- Import the WooCommerce SEO from Yoast SEO
- Import the JSON-LD from Yoast SEO
- Import for Profiles & Archives from Yoast SEO plugin
Squirrly does NOT currently import the CUSTOM redirects from Yoast’s Premium redirect manager. However, we have placed this on our feature requests list inside our Roadmap to see if more people will request this.
Good. Now that we got that out of the way, let’s go over the steps of importing your data from Yoast SEO to Squirrly SEO.
There are two ways to migrate your data.
Option 1: Import using Squirrly’s Onboarding Assistant
You can import your data from Yoast as soon as you install Squirrly.
Once you get Squirrly SEO for your site, Squirrly will initiate an onboarding sequence that is meant to help you get started.
As part of the onboarding, Squirrly will scan your site to detect any SEO plugins that you may currently have installed on your site. So, if you have Yoast SEO installed on your site, Squirrly will automatically detect it.
From that point on, all you have to do is click on the Import button to start the Import process.
After clicking on the import button, Squirrly will show you a message to indicate the import from Yoast SEO has successfully been completed.
Option 2: Import using Squirrly’s Import/Export feature
If you haven’t imported your data from Yoast SEO during the onboarding, you have the option to do it using Squirrly’s Import/Export feature.
Here’s what you need to do:
Step 1. Go to the Import / Export section of Squirrly
The Import-Export settings are located in the SEO Settings section of Squirrly SEO. Navigate to Squirrly SEO > SEO Settings > Import/Export to reach the Import/Export page.
Step 2. Import Settings
Looking at how Import SEO & Settings is set up, you may ask yourself why there are two different sections for this. The reason is that there is a clear distinction between Settings and SEO:
- Settings are things you set up, such as: using Meta, using Open Graph, and so on.
- SEO is what you work on and how you define custom texts.
To import settings from Yoast, simply select Yoast from the list and then click on Import Settings. (as shown in the image below)
⚠️ If you import the SEO settings from Yoast, you will lose all the settings that you had in Squirrly SEO (the settings you import will overwrite the settings you make in Squirrly SEO). Make sure you backup your settings from Backup Settings & SEO before you do this.
Step 3. Import SEO
To import SEO from Yoast, simply select Yoast SEO from the list and click on Import SEO. (as shown in the image below)
⚠️ As part of the Import SEO process, Squirrly will only import the SEO for the pages that were NOT yet optimized with Squirrly SEO.
This will ensure that you don’t lose the SEO for pages that you already optimized with Squirrly. So, unlike what happens for Import settings, the SEO you import will NOT overwrite the SEO for pages optimized with Squirrly.
That’s it! Your data is now safely transferred to Squirrly.
All your data is now imported into Squirrly! If you want, you can now go to BULK SEO settings and check that your data has been correctly transferred.
Import Done. What’s next?
After the set-up for Squirrly SEO is complete, you can go ahead and deactivate the Yoast SEO plugin from your site.